Re: [CQ-Contest] RES: CQ WPX M/M Distributed Category Update

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RES: CQ WPX M/M Distributed Category Update
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 16:59:08 -0400
Rich,

I don't think Ray is being criticized about opening his stations on Remote Ham Radio to new (youth) contesters. He has lots of enthusiasm about doing that. Good for him.

I think the whole issue that K9YC pointed out is the concept of a distributed contesting from multiple station locations category. As K5ZD pointed out "Distributed MM is likely never going to be a major category." So it's really just a fad. As I pointed out in a couple of my emails Ray's vision of allowing youth contesters to operate from a big gun station would have been better served by organizing seven different Multi-Multis from the stations he has on his Remote Ham Radio network. That would have allowed even more new contesters to participate in his endeavor.

I'm a living example of someone who was taken in (and mentored) by some big time contesters in my youth. To this day I've still never owned a tower at my home QTH ( I chose family stuff over radio) but despite this I seem to do pretty good in some contests from an all wire station. I attribute that to what I learned during the days I got to operate at some nice big gun stations such as K3LR, K8CC, KW8N, N2NU, KS8S, W8AV, W8FN, NQ4I, WW4LL etc..

Jeff