Re: [CQ-Contest] RES: CQ WPX M/M Distributed Category Update

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RES: CQ WPX M/M Distributed Category Update
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 12:20:02 -0700

It's probably worth pointing out that computer gaming in almost any form (PC, console, mobile) FAR outweighs ham radio in popularity (and financial support) across all age groups, but particularly among the younger folks we hams keep saying are critical to the future of our hobby.  I happen to enjoy and indulge in both  ... ham radio for the "radio" of it and online gaming for the fun and convenience of it ... but "radio" doesn't have the appeal to young people for whom it mostly represents really old (and really expensive) technology.

I've said for years that for radiosport to appeal to youngsters that it needs to adopt some of the aspects of computer gaming.  Easier access to a competitive station.  More real time competition ... preferably one-to-one and certainly not having to wait weeks or months to find out how you did.  Ideally some sort of graphic display representing the "battle".  More sophisticated scoring than simply how many contacts you can make, such as points earned both offensively and defensively, or for multiple objectives (besides just points and multipliers).  More ways to win that don't depend upon how long you're able to sit in a chair.  More direct real time social interaction among participants in a multiplayer environment.

Most contesters turn their noses up at any similar suggestions, which is why we get repeated laments that the hobby doesn't attract enough new blood.  I'm not saying that the new distributed M/M category does everything right, but at least it seems to have generated some enthusiasm among folks who wouldn't have otherwise been as engaged.  When is the last time anyone can remember that happening?

I'm not the cleverest person here by far, and I have as difficult a time as anyone else coming up with actual ideas for how to accomplish any of the things I mentioned above.  But for example, imagine a radio contest with every participant connected to the internet (I think I just heard EI5DI gasp all the way here in Arizona) just like the zillions of real time score submitters, assisted participants, and propagation trackers already do.  Imagine a logger interface that displayed a (zoomable) colorful map of the world populated with dots representing EVERYONE online at the time, and maybe with the ability to see the callsign of those you hadn't yet worked by mousing over their dot.  Imagine earning more points by working a particular station earlier in the contest (both run and S&P come into play here).   Imagine getting a better multiplier for a station worked further away instead of for which country they were in.  Imagine real time reporting of scores, and actually real time confirmation of scores since everyone would be reporting online in real time.  The strategies required to win would be far different than simply how many people you were able to work.  You'd actually be "on the hunt" all of the time instead of blankly transmitting into the ether.  Selection would be more important than quantity.

As I said, I'm not the most creative person when it comes to this sort of thing and this wasn't intended to be as much a proposal as it was an illustration, but I'm convinced that there are people out there who are a lot smarter than I am and who could turn an alternative radiosport environment into reality.  I guarantee that the technical capability to do all of it and more exists right now. It wouldn't have to replace existing contests, either.

Unfortunately, I think the inertia in the hobby is such that it's unlikely ever to happen.

73,
Dave   AB7E