Re: [VHFcontesting] Why a rule discriminating against portable stations?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why a rule discriminating against portable stations?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 19:00:19 -0300
Sounds like you didn't read the rules and are now miffed @ the ARRL for
them.

Yes, I do agree they should do them like the rules for Rovers, but that
doesn't change
what you did.

The words ".It turns out." in your post are telling.

Better luck next time Alex !

73 de VE9AA Mike FN66
--------------

Hi there,

Can someone provide an explanation why the ARRL June VHF contesting rules
discriminate against portable operations, and only on VHF? This is the rule
I'm referring to:

"COND.2 Multiple entries COND.2.1 In VHF+ contests: Individuals and stations
are limited to one entry per contest. Rover operators may submit one
separate entry as a Single Operator (fixed station) in addition to their
rover entry."

During this past June VHF contest, I operated from home as KR1ST, and I
operated a portable station (100% separate hardware) as KR1ST/P from a
different location. It turns out that after I submitted my home KR1ST log,
it gets overwritten by the KR1ST/P entry I submitted later. I assume that is
because of the rule I quoted above.

What I'm curious about is, how is it justified that if someone goes to a
mountaintop to operate as portable station they may not also operate from
their permanent station, while it is perfectly fine for a rover station to
do so? And why does this rule only apply to VHF? What would be the harm to
allow for a portable station to also allow for an entry from their permanent
station, just like rovers?

I would think that in the spirit of Amateur Radio we should be as permissive
as possible when it comes to operating practices in order to generate
maximum activity.

73,

--Alex KR1ST

Mike, Coreen & Corey