[VHFcontesting] Why a rule discriminating against portable stations?

To: "'VHF Contesting eMail Remailer'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "'Pack Rat Reflector'" <Packrats@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Why a rule discriminating against portable stations?
From: <alex@kr1st.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 12:43:16 -0400
Hi there,

Can someone provide an explanation why the ARRL June VHF contesting rules
discriminate against portable operations, and only on VHF? This is the rule
I'm referring to:

"COND.2 Multiple entries COND.2.1 In VHF+ contests: Individuals and stations
are limited to one entry per contest. Rover operators may submit one
separate entry as a Single Operator (fixed station) in addition to their
rover entry."

During this past June VHF contest, I operated from home as KR1ST, and I
operated a portable station (100% separate hardware) as KR1ST/P from a
different location. It turns out that after I submitted my home KR1ST log,
it gets overwritten by the KR1ST/P entry I submitted later. I assume that is
because of the rule I quoted above.

What I'm curious about is, how is it justified that if someone goes to a
mountaintop to operate as portable station they may not also operate from
their permanent station, while it is perfectly fine for a rover station to
do so? And why does this rule only apply to VHF? What would be the harm to
allow for a portable station to also allow for an entry from their permanent
station, just like rovers?

I would think that in the spirit of Amateur Radio we should be as permissive
as possible when it comes to operating practices in order to generate
maximum activity.

73,

--Alex KR1ST