Re: [VHFcontesting] [Packrats] Why a rule discriminating against portabl

To: alex@kr1st.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [Packrats] Why a rule discriminating against portable stations?
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:09:38 -0600
I don’t know the answer to your question, but the VHF rules have kind of grown
in a patchwork fashion over the years, so there are a some rules that don’t
make sense now when taken in the whole. I don’t think it is a deliberate effort
to discriminate against you and your portable operation. The most effective way
to deal with this issue is to express your concerns with the ARRL Contest
Advisory Committee member representing you, and perhaps to the CAC committee
chair.

One thing I do know is that the log checkers do not like to deal with the entry
by the rover and a fixed single op entry from the same operator using the same
call. Many entrants do not log the /r and the log checkers have to figure out
which QSOs belong to the rover and which to the fixed operation and that can be
a real can of worms. It is not always clear which is which. So, I suspect that
the inclination would be to get rid of the double entry provision for rovers
rather than to add one for the portable stations. - Duffey KK6MC sometimes
KK6MC/r

KK6MC
James Duffey
Cedar Crest NM