Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating

To: "vhf contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating
From: "Jeffrey Guenther" <JeffJGuenther@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 00:05:59 -0500
John,

I agree with your thoughts about the IC-718 and a HT purchase. My best friend in NJ fell for that exact description and now regrets his decision. I think it might be one of the well known Amateur Radio Suppliers that recommends that combination. Although, I hear it can be a great QRP rig??

I will be honest I fell for the HT purchase, which is collecting dust here in my shack, but I was smart enough to purchase an IC706MKIIG for my first all around rig. Then shortly after purchased the IC746PRO, which has all mode capability on 2 meters. I would love to have the IC9100, but the wife is not so keen on Amateur Radio expenditures in that price range.

I am not a big player by any means on 6 or 2 meters, but during the contest I love to give a contact and to see what I can hear. With antennas at 10 feet and 12 feet, not much, but it is still fun. Our small local group barely supports getting on the air, never-the-less, getting on 6 or 2 meters SSB/CW.

It is great you have a place to express your opinions. I believe mostly what I have read to be positive. So there still maybe a great future with activity above 6 meters. I for one will not be selling my gear.

Jeffrey - KA2BKG
Bel Air, MD
FM19tm

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Geiger" <af5cc@fidmail.com> To: "Peter Laws" <plaws@plaws.net>; "vhf contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:46 PM

I have been watching this thread for a while, and thinking about my own opinion as to what is going one. As others have stated, the amount of activity on VHF and UHF should be going up, as it is easier and cheaper today to get on 2m and 70cm than ever before with all of the HF/VHF/UHF rigs out there. If one looks around much, they should be able to find one of those for $500 or so.

One idea I have for the decline has to do with the internet, but not the way most people think of. I think the problem is that many new hams turn to QRZ.COM and EHAM.NET to get their elmering advice. I don't read too many of the QRZ forums, but do get on eham.net quite often so I know what is talked about there, and much of it is pretty bad information. Here are some examples:

1. When a new ham asks about HF radios, they are always steered towards the Icom 718. I still don't understand the cult following for that radio. I always try to steer them towards the Yaesu FT450 instead, as it is a better radio overall, has many more built in features that cost more (or are unavailable) on the 718, and most importantly, includes 6m.

2. New hams are told to avoid buying used equipment as you are "buying someone elses problems". Funny how I have worked 321 DXCC entities, 6m WAS and WAC, VUCC on 6, 2, and satellites, and 40 states on 2m using someone elses problems. Anyways, as pointed out earlier, there is only 1 2m monoband SSB rig being made right now, and I am sure most didn't even know that-the MFJ 9402. So, given that new hams are steered away from used equipment, they wont be looking for an inexpensive 2m all mode rig to add a band to their collection.

3. If a ham expresses interest in a HF/VHF/UHF rig, they are told instead to get an HF rig and a dualband FM radio so they don't have all their eggs in one basket-meaning if one breaks they have the other one to use. It is never assumed that maybe they wanted the HF/VHF/UHF rig for 2m and 70cm SSB/CW. However, it is a sad fact that probably 80% of hams with a HF/VHF/UHF rig have never used the 2m/70cm side on anything other than FM.

4. When questions come up about 6m they are usually told that it is dead all of the time, and you listen to static, and might get a several minute opening if you get lucky. Same thing is said about the higher bands.

Time was that when a new ham had questions about something like 6m they would ask at the local radio club, and would get directed to the local ham who did 6 meters, so they could go to his or her shack and see it in action. Now they get on the internet instead and get filled up with information for someone who is a legend in their own mind, but usually has no idea about what they are talking about.

I think there is also the perception that you have to have large antennas and towers, and big amps to do anything on 2m and above. I have worked 40 states on 175 grids on 2m using 160 watts or less, and nothing larger than a Cushcraft 13B2 mounted on my roof, and that includes 1 EME QSO. I try to mention my station limitations whenever sending out activity reports so people know what can be done with smaller stations.

We also need to find ways to rebrand outselves. Calling ourselves "weak signal operators" doesn't do anything to attract new hams. Who wants to spend money to get on something with weak signals. Why is it when a ham runs 1.5KW to 8 stacked yagis on 2m they are weak signal, but when someone uses a 2 watt HT with a negative gain antenna it is not weak signal? I don't even like the term "DC to Daylight rig" because first off it is inaccurate, and secondly, it seems to have a somewhat derrogotry quality to it, implying that the rig is a poor compromise on all bands (new hams are also told this on eham as well). I have worked quite a few countries, grids, and states on a supposedly compromised rig.

If you read the QST reviews, these HF/VHF/UHF rigs are always referred to as for mobile use only, or as a secondary/back up rig. It is never mentioned that they could be the primary rig in a shack, even though they are in many ham's shack, including mine. The on-line forums also believe that new hams are too confused or dense to use a menu driven rig-hence the call for them all to get Icom 718.

If you have been to your local radio club recently, I dont mean a speciality club, but the local one where new hams are likely to show up, I would bet that when discussions of 2m and 70cm come up, FM and APRS are mentioned over SSB by a ratio of 50 to 1 or more. Most clubs seem to think that 2m and up should only be used for emergency communcations and parade chasing on 2m and APRS.

I am sure that there are plenty of reasons also, but these are just a few thoughts.

73 John AF5CC
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Laws" <plaws@plaws.net>