Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 18:16:27 -0600
On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com> wrote:
> I've worked in advertising and marketing most of my adult life, so I often
> tend to view things as marketing problems.

They often are ...

> The league has failed to ever make VUCC anything more than the kid sister of
> DXCC. They've failed to add "variations" of the award such as 5 Band VUCC,
> or "Rover VUCC" that might encourage more activity. They've failed to offer

I'm hoping against hope that when the top hireling at HQ retires that
there will be a housecleaning.  I think there are too many Cycle 19
types there and I think it hurts the organization.  Look at their IT
messes, for example (BTW, adding something to LOTW in its current
state is NON-trivial, which is part of its problem - let's agree to
leave LOTW out of the discussion!).

The award program in general needs help, IMHO.  They've made some
tweaks to how you apply for awards via the web and they have been
smart, IMHO, but there needs to be more.  There should never be a
reason to send cards to HQ, for example.  ALL that should be handled
in the field (though I suspect >80% is already).  In addition to the
computer-generated-and-not-always-styled-the-same paper awards, there
should be an "up-sell" of a hand-created certificates (on better
paper), maybe with a raised embossing or something.  Easy to do,
revenue-positive I would think (or don't do it!).  And yes, plaques,
as someone mentioned.

Multiple band endorsements for VUCC is another good idea, but just
don't go insane with them like the WAS program - want a WAS 'phone AM
15m all-Novice QRP award?  You can get it.  Well, actually you can't
because Novices can't use AM or any phone on 15, but you know what I
mean.  It's dumb, IMHO, but you can get those silly awards.  DXCC at
least is a little more rational with 11 bands and 5 modes.

So yes, more emphasis on VUCC would be good.  Anyone have an "On the
ultra-highs" presentation in the can they'd like to share?