Re: [VHFcontesting] distance scoring

To: Bruce Herrick <bdh@teleport.com>, VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] distance scoring
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:55:32 +0000
No one ever said that, but then again, until Ev spoke up, nobody had ANY
specifics.  Everybody keeps talking about use of 6 digit squares as if the
current 4 digit is inadequate.  That's why I asked for details, rather than
speculation.

After reading Ev's posts, I remain skeptical, but I would be up for working
some sprints to see how it actually ends up working.  I still think a 6 digit
exchange is cumbersome for a guy behind the wheel of a truck.  My truck's
built-in navigation system is not set up for Maidenhead readings so I've been
relying on a paper map and comparing to the lat/lon readings to determine grid
location and that would not work for a 6 digit exchange.  I'll have to buy more
equipment and figure out how to integrate it into my system.  That's not
horrible, but it makes me nervous "K4GUN/R in FM08us... no wait, uniform
tango... hang on, the road keeps turning, make that us.  Yes, its uniform
sierra, I'm sure, QSL?"  Meanwhile, my logger is furiously trying to enter my
location as well as the location of the station I'm talking to.  Hopefully we
all put the same information into the logs.

I also see this as a dis-incentive for rovers to make longer trips.  Part (not
all) of the advantage of moving from grid to grid is to get closer to
population centers in grids that you could not get from your QTH or from a
single spot during a rove.  Closer would mean less points.  That means few
stations can work me because I will not be traveling to an area where they can
get me.

Skeptical.  That's all I'm saying.  I like it the way it is.  I don't see why
it needs changed.

Steve
K4GUN/R

From: Bruce Herrick <bdh@teleport.com>