[VHFcontesting] Distance scoring

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Distance scoring
From: "gmitch" <gmitch@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:50:30 -0500
Steve, I've always been under the impression that the rover category came
about to activate rare grids and grids that have little or no "VHF and up
population in them away from the population centers.  This is not as easy in
some areas of the country as others I understand. If we were to go to a
distance scoring I would absolutely activate more DX grids in Nebraska,
South Dakota,North Dakota. But depending on the area you live in someone can
circle the population centers and still score higher than the rover that
activates some rare dx grids, if the score is all you are after so just
because scoring might be based on DX, Qso's will still count and can
overpower a rover in the boonies. I have always felt that the dx, rare and
inactive grids  in a rovers area is what should be activated no mater what
the scoring detail is. Also a used Garmin II plus or III plus or V can be
picked up on E bay for $100 or less and they all do the 6 dig grid and if
you operate anything 902/1296 and above are great tool. Keep up the
enthusiasm it is good to see, especially with the higher gas and diesel
prices. I have always tried to activate the DX grids my average 2 meter
distance worked is usually over 230 miles.

73  gene
N0DQS

http://www.qsl.net/n0dqs/

>I also see this as a dis-incentive for rovers to make longer trips.  Part
>(not all) of the advantage of moving from grid to grid is to get closer to
>population centers in grids that you could not get from your QTH or from a
>single spot during a rove.  Closer would mean less points.  That means few
>stations can work me because I will not be traveling to an area where they
>can get me.

Skeptical.  That's all I'm saying.  I like it the way it is.  I don't see
why it needs changed.

Steve