Re: [TowerTalk] ...and another coax adapter question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ...and another coax adapter question
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@k0xp.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 16:44:45 -0800
I ran into a different failure mode on a right angle UHF M-F adapter. Several years back, while at Visalia, I found some new, very nice-looking, nicely-machined, apparently-well-built, adapters from one of the several vendors there; I don't recall exactly but they were probably less than $5 each. I snagged a handful. I've been using them with no problem until recently, when I was able to up my power to more than 600 or 700 watts. Suddenly, one night, SWR shot sky-high on a few dits, then seemed to return to normal. Ten or so minutes later, the same thing happened again. Then it began happening every few minutes; the high SWR condition would persist for a couple words then disappear, only to reappear again after awhile. Examination of my coaxes didn't reveal anything untoward. But awhile later, I had occasion to swap a couple antenna coaxes to my tuner (where I was using several of these adapters) and when I pulled on one that was screwed into one of those "new" right angle adapters, I could tell it was loose. Removing it, I was astonished to find the female center insulator and socket pin just pulled straight out of the adapter!

It turned out that this manufacturer (whoever they might have been) made the center conductor of their right-angle adapter by maching a male UHF pin from a rod; the inner part of the rod then necks down in diameter and feeds back into the body of the adapter to the region of the right-angle. There, at the end of that rod, they drilled a small hole through the rod. On the female end of the adapter, the UHF female pin is another machined rod that, on the inside of the adapter at the right angle, is machined down to a small diameter pin that fits into the hole in the rod that becomes the male pin. I don't see any solder or a weld joint joining the two rods and indeed, since there is no access to the junction of the two rods inside the adapter, you can't get inside to solder it, anyway. (You could, however, if so inclined, carefully drill your own hole through the right-angle squared-off body to stick your iron's tip inside to attenpt to solder them together.) It appears that the small-diameter pin is supposed to be a force-fit into the hole in the rod that forms the UHF male pin. Perhaps it is; but movement of either or both of any cables or connectors on either side of that adapter will eventually cause that force-fit to loosen up and hey, el presto: a broken circuit causing high SWR.

My high-SWR fault was caused by that small pin end becoming loose inside the hole drilled through the larger rod used to form the UHF male pin.

These are nicely-machined and very-well-fitting adapters; too bad they're so unreliable and virtually useless for any serious application.

I have a bunch of UHF-to-type N adapters from the same vendor; I wonder what failure mode they're going to present?? I have no doubt that they, too, will catastrophically-fail at some point.

Steve, K0XP