Re: [TowerTalk] ...and another coax adapter question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ...and another coax adapter question
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:24:28 -0800
FWIW, here is a comparison of two UHF bullet adapters (F-F). Both are sold by "Amphenol-RF":

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-RF/182109?qs=pUp6IBEmRweq5dreR9OqEw%3D%3D

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-RF/083-1J?qs=py4qCovljJ%252BPkeGph3iz4w%3D%3D

The first one (the 182109) is $8.14 each and the second one (the 083-1J) is $18.93 each. If you look at the datasheets (they are actually drawings), the first one appears to be the Amphenol-Connex brand, whereas the 2nd more expensive one may be the original "Amphenol".

I would probably take my chances with the cheaper one, especially if I was using them inside the shack or on the ground where they are readily accessible. If you are putting it somewhere where failure would require a crane or a lot of climbing to repair, it might be worth investing in the more expensive part. Hard to say. Personally what has given me the most trouble over the years are UHF right angle adapters (the M-F type). The retaining clip that holds the threaded outer cylinder of the male side in place can slip out of the groove it rides in. This allows the male side of the adapter to separate from the female jack it is mated with (not good!).

I suspect avoiding connectors with no established pedigree or track record probably takes you from the realm of likely junk to "good enough" (especially if the price of the no-name seems too good to be true). Beyond that it may be the difference between "good enough" and "better than good enough".