Re: [TowerTalk] Control box

To: john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Control box
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 17:18:13 -0700

On 8/27/2022 1:49 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:

voltage drop, etc, perhaps you could add a buck transformer.    Regarding
your winter concerns, I forgot what that is like.

John KK9A/4

The buck transformer is not good because the voltage will
be too high under a light load.

Instead what I did was use a 5 kVA isolation transformer
that I got for a song at a swap meet (price is inversely
proportional to weight and time of day, hi.)  (BTW, the
isolation feature is superfluous for this purpose).
It is possible to wire it as an autotransformer to go
from 240V to 120V. You don't even need a neutral for
the 240V circuit.   Then I ran 240V to the tower,
and converted to 120V at the tower.  Way easier than
redesigning the tower stuff.

73
Rick N6RK