[TowerTalk] Mast for a short little stack

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast for a short little stack
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 17:27:08 -0400
I have a F12 C-3E on an AB-577.  The tribander mounts on a very short stub mast out the top of the Yaesu rotator.  There is no thrust bearing or other support for the mast.

I recently bought a Cushcraft 3-element 6-meter beam and want to stack it about 5 feet above the tribander.  The antenna weighs about 7 pounds and has very low wind loading.  A friend gave me a very heavy 8-foot steel mast, which I thought would work, but after handling it for a while (it's really heavy), I think it would be overkill, and very awkward to install, even with two or three guys on ladders.  Cutting it down would help marginally.

So I'm debating a lighter, thinner-walled steel or high-strength aluminum mast instead.  Sitting just above the rotator's top clamp, the tribander would impose very little bending load on the mast in the wind, and the 6-meter yagi ought to be trivial in that regard too, at only 5-5 1/2 feet above the rotator.  I'd appreciate advice - am I better off just suffering through the installation of the heavier mast, or if what I'm proposing would work, what material do you suggest?

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<https://reversebeacon.net>.