Re: [TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast
From: "larryj@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 15:41:47 +0000
That tower load caught my eye, too. I have an HDBX tower, and I was only able
to get the City's tower permit by staying within the Rohn published load
limits. So I went with a 2-element tri-band quad antenna, which only had a boom
length of 8 feet.

At a previous QTH, I had a Mosley TA-33 tri-band yagi. But I couldn't put it on
this BX tower, since the boom length (I think it was 16 feet) exceeded the
10-foot allowable boom length in the tower ratings' specifications.

When I read this thread about a SteppIR was being put up on a BX tower, that
caught my eye, immediately. I've seen two - folded-over/destroyed BX towers in
this area, with antenna loads that exceeded Rohn's specs. Fortunately, neither
of them were mine.

LJ