Re: [TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast

To: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, TowerTalk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast
From: "larryj@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 01:36:30 +0000
Doug - the HDBX48 I put up had to be installed exactly as per Rohn's
instructions. This was in a time where no other towers were on the "approved"
list by the City planning department, and even getting that one approved took
lots of hours by the local radio club's Attorney.  I work for the City, and
that didn't get me any special privilege when it came to getting a tower
permit. They only approved the HDBX48 version, not the taller 56-footer, even
if guys were approved by Rohn.  Things are evidently different up in Manitoba!
I sure wouldn't want to climb 100+ feet of BX tower!

I was so glad I got that tower permit, as years after it was up and working, a
new neighbor moved in across the street. He soon had issues with many of the
neighbors (seems there's always one in every neighborhood) and eventually got
around to me - didn't like the looks of the tower and antenna, and tried to
rally some of the neighbors against it. He eventually called the City planning
department to complain, and after they checked their records, they told him
there was a tower permit. He had to tell the rest of the neighbors, "the guy's
got a permit for it  :("

Sometimes the extra work pays off, doing it by the book.

LJ