Re: [TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast

To: TowerTalk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 19:07:12 -0500
I have an HDBX48 and have always found the 10’ boom length puzzling. Mine has
40CD2 perpendicular Tom a KT34A, each exceeding the 10’ limit, but under the 18
sq Ft overall load limit. It’s been through 84 mph and survived.

The BX series was redesigned sometime in the (early?) 70’s and Rohn added an
extra set of X-braces on each section but didn’t upgrade the ratings. So I have
to wonder if the 10’ boom length is a legacy rating.

As for climbing them: it’s misery. I now always use a bucket to do anything on
mine. My experience with StepIRs in harsh winds is not good; I’d never put one
up on anything but a crank-up or fold-over.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the
music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith