Re: Topband: J28MD, conditions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: J28MD, conditions
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 15:14:33 -0800
I spent all morning calling T88WA on 160CW FT8. They responded to my call twice in a row in the wee hours of the morning when their signal strength was modest (~R -15), but I never saw the "RR73", message so I kept trying to work them for hours until the sun came up. In the lead up to sunrise they became very loud for quite a while (something like R +1), so I was kind of dumbfounded that they never responded again while stations with whom I am normally competitive were getting through. I was beginning to think that something was wrong with my antenna, that perhaps copper thieves had made off with all my ground radials. I walked outside after sunrise to make sure they were still there. This afternoon, I checked the coax loss and it was reasonable (~0.5dB). What the heck?

After all the aforementioned head scratching, I discovered this afternoon much to my surprise that I am in the log. They were splitting streams, so all I can figure is that they sent the RR73 in a split stream and it was too weak for me to decode; and then they just ignored me afterwards because they considered me a dupe. I would have been quite happy to have avoided all those extra hours of calling and gone to bed instead had I know I was in the log.  My experience with FT8 is pretty limited. Is this a common problem?