Re: Topband: J28MD, conditions

To: Artek Manuals <Manuals@artekmanuals.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: J28MD, conditions
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 13:12:38 -0600

Hi Dave,

Having done one-man DXpeditions myself to non-rare countries when I was a lot younger, as well as being the first to put the new "Status Aparte" country of Aruba on the air in January 1986, and having to haul several hundred pounds of cable, equipment and tools there and back by myself, I have some personal understanding of what is involved, although nothing on the scale of present DXpeditions to truly rare countries.

I agree with your assessment that by using digital modes, ops of many low level stations can participate and work the DXpeditions on bands they otherwise would have no chance of working them on. That's a GOOD thing
for everyone!

However I have a different take on the rest.

If a DXpedition is spending "hours calling CQ on 160 for an hour only to show one or two QSO's for the effort" then they are wasting everyone's time. Good Dxpeditions DON'T do things like that. PERIOD. Good Dxpedition have knowledge of propagation to target areas, they solicit comments about propagation/band openings from those who want to work the DXpedition and they remain flexible with their operating schedule, changing plans on the fly to take advantage of band openings that have been consistent throughout the DXpedition and depending on propagation and, where possible, they try to accommodate the ops trying to work them and they do so seamlessly.

As far as FT8 producing more qso's/hour on 160/80 than CW or SSB, I certainly take issue with that.

Of course propagation, local station issues, qrn, politics, host requirements and a raft of other obligations/issues all mitigate planning, but the point is, if 80 SSB is open NOW, and signals are good, then someone should be there NOW NOT an hour from now! Unless there is absolutely unfilterable horrendous qrm, and/or there is a lousy opr. present, the SSB rates/ hr will FAR EXCEED anything that can be done on digital modes. This is even more true on 80 CW. And it is also true on 160 cw. A good operator knows how to manage the qrm/qrn and still make good rates. It's part of what they learned in order to become
a good operator.

Sure, a lot is dependent on the operator(s) but that is true of any operator/band opening/DXpedition. The personnel and operating proficiency of some DXpeditions remind me of the equivalent of untrained "tourists" attempting to summit Mt. Everest. Today, untrained, largely unprepared people with lots of money and poor skills, can pay for the privilege of climbing Mt. Everest. They have no business being there but their money buys them the access whether it makes sense or not. Some DXpeditions today seem to operate on a similar principle; largely unskilled people with lots of money get to go to rare places and be DX in a casual way - mostly disappointing "the faithful". Of course tt's their money and their right to do as they please, but no one says that we have to like it. OTOH, some Dxpeditions are OUTSTANDING - great operating, great timing, a willingness to work people on certain bands when the openings are there. We appreciate and remember them. And they can still find time for digital. The hallmark of greats ops and a great DXpedition is that they work everyone regardless of mode and when cndx are marginal they still work everyone.

There is no reason why digital modes and CW/SSB should have to be a zero sum game. When a band is open use CW and SSB. When it is too marginal use digital. Operate on the most challenging bands/modes FIRST whenever the opportunity presents itself
and then go to other bands/modes from there.

In a DX contest I almost always go to 10 meters first, because the openings are limited relative to other bands. In a Mixed mode contest I start on CW and go to SSB when the band opens better. It's not a hard to figure out. It just takes a willingness to be flexible and go where the rate is and sometimes that means dealing with marginal signals with more challenging operating cndx. But operating skill and a willingness to "deal with it" puts hundreds of additional qso's in the log whereas a different op would waste that valuable time on something else. And when all the CW and SSB possible is worked out, by all means go to Digital, but digital should
NOT be the "GO TO" de facto operating "strategy"!

In CQWWSSB, great US ops at really good stations in a great year, can make 5,000 qso's. In an average year can make ~ 4,000 - 4,500+ qsos
and in a lousy year can still make 3,000 - 3,500 qsos.

Take that same great op and put them at a mediocre station in an average year and they will still make 3,000 - 3,500 qsos while the typical op will make 1,500 or quit. DXpeditions are no different. Skill and "want to" make all the difference. One op's marginal band opening is another ops low band RUN.

In your example, if you are on 160 cqing and making 1 - 2 qso's / hour, you are on the wrong band. It should take 5 minutes to figure that out, not 60 and then you qsy to 80 and then 40 if you have to, and then you go back to 80 or 160 when it improves. Just like what good single ops. do in EVERY contest!

And then you go back to 80 or 40 and back again to 80 or 160 depending on which is open. It's not hard. You just have to understand that that is the way propagation works and be willing to do it.

And if you only have a choice of 1 or 2 antennas vs. antennas on all the bands, then you still do the same thing with the available antennas. And if you are committed to a specific band, all night, then alternate between the modes, SSB when open, CW when barely open and digital when the band is not open at all and you need to work stations below the noise. US the strength of each mode as a tool to maximizing qso's in the log. If someone thinks that means use Digital all the time as a default then they do not understand ALL the communications modes and how best to use them!

I'll bet that the DXpedition that executes that strategy well gets more $ than the DXpeditions that don't. And a lot more appreciation and gratitude from the stations that worked it rather than the ones whose needs were ignored by it.

73

Bob, KQ2M