Re: Topband: J28MD, conditions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: J28MD, conditions
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 12:02:58 -0500
I see this as a two sided coin

160 and 80 tough bands for CW let alone SSB. In the end it is a signal to noise problem. Which FT8 overcomes by several dB.   FT8 levels the playing field for those of us who don't have the money for a mega station on several acres with 100 ft towers,etc (not knocking those guys if I win the lottery it will be near the top of my list) .

At this point FT8 has become the defacto preferred DXpedition mode for many because it usually produces the most QSO's/hour on 160/80 . If I were a dxpedition why would I spend hours calling CQ on 160 for an hour only to show one or two QSO's for the effort, kinda like a DIY lobotomy with an ice pick....8^(,  Maybe I should use that time up on 40M instead, giving a smaller gun a shot at an ATNO, (argument for a different thread...please). For some expeditions #of QSO's is about the $$$, more QSO's = more donations. In this day and age the cost of a major DXpedition is a mind blowing amount of $$$$ (Look at upcoming Bouvet, which is in the hole still ..if you haven't donated time to dig in your pocket) not knocking anyone just stating a fact of life.

Dave
NR1DX

"before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes...that way when you do criticize them you will have a mile head start and you will have their shoes !"