Re: Topband: FCP versus loaded or "T" radialsradials

To: topband reflector <Topband@contesting.com>, N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP versus loaded or "T" radialsradials
From: Mike Furrey <mikefurrey@att.net>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 23:45:23 +0000 (UTC)
Elevated Radials ... In Houston, TX on a 60'X90' lot I had one
quarter-wavelength elevated radial bent in the shape of an L to fit on the lot,
it was routed around the perimeter of the lot.

At an apartment in FL, I managed to hide an elevated radial in the bushes with
a 50' base loaded vertical wire hidden in a tree (a Stew Perry antenna).

In a cabin at a campground in Swannee, TN I had four 81' elevated radials
(straight out of ON4UN's Low-Band book) up 20' and that setup netted me a top
10 finish, low power in a 160 CQWW CW test.

Now at my YL's QTH in Oak Ridge, TN (on a 1/5 acre lot) (fortunately she is
also a ham) I have a single 1/8 wavelength linear loaded radial that that is
also trapped (matches the vertical up a tall oak tree) to allow for 80 meter
operation without relays. This antenna, while not a barn-burner, I was
pleasantly surprised at its performance ... WAC with a hundred watts and have
even run Europe on that unmentionable mode at 50 watts. All antennas were fed
through a choke balun at the feed point and only the antenna with the 4 - 81'
radials required impedance matching (used a hair pin).

 I have sketches of most everything and I am sneaking up on 200 countries on
160. I hope this gives you a few ideas.

73, Mike WA5POK