Re: Topband: FT8 Observations

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 Observations
From: "VK3HJ" <vk3hj_luke@barefoothorse.com.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:24:50 +1000
Having no interest in FT8 or JT modes (for now), I don't have much to comment on that, but do have a few comments on the subsequent discussion.

My feeling is that, as mentioned already, many stations haven't made a decent job of improving their receiving capability, or are unable to do so. These stations may be 20 - 30 dB or more behind those who have, and therefore much of the receiving gain of FT8 is lost. In many cases, it's much easier to put out a decent signal, than to reciprocate by being able to receive decently.

I have three two-wire Beverages out of 280 m each in a quiet rural location. The nearest neighbour is several hundred metres away, and the nearest town is around 10 km away. I have used the design on Mike W0BTU's website, and am switching directions with 12 Vdc down each of the three feedlines giving me six switchable directions in the shack. I am pleased with the results, but haven't used the reverse directions much yet.

In the control box, I am just using a rotary switch, with mini coax carrying the RF. It would be interesting to devise a switching arrangement to allow diversity reception between any two Beverages. I currently can use diversity with by transmitting vertical in one receiver and one Beverage in the other.

We are well into Autumn here, but are still getting many evenings with thunderstorms in the region. Some call this an "Indian Summer". I was still able to work Dave K1WHS last evening despite a thunderstorm off our east coast.

See you on Top Band, on CW.

73,

Luke VK3HJ