Re: Topband: FT8 Observations

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 Observations
From: Mike DeChristopher <mfdechristopher@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:42:15 -0400
Hi Dave,

In my [very, very, extremely] limited experiences with any of the JT
modes, it has always seemed to me that many are alligators. I think
the FT8 craze has inspired a lot of people to get on 160 with
compromise tx antennas -- this is a good thing -- but I'm not sure
they realize how much they're missing on RX. I'm currently writing an
article for a local club on simple RX antennas for this very reason
(big ft8 crowd). If you try it on other bands, even 80 for example,
you'll find your mileage *magically* improves. The program hears so
well that even a stoopid rx antenna that only slightly pares down the
noise would be fb for most.

As for your tribulations, I don't know enough about the mode to say
too much, but it should be regularly better than CW, even factoring in
the alligators. A local fellow here in WMA probably has 60+ cty on FT8
with only a compromise inverted-L and no RX. I know he's running >10
or 20W -- not sure if that's considered inordinate or not.

Glad to hear your beverage noise is straightened out.

73
Mike N1TA