Re: Topband: FT8 Observations

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 Observations
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 18:19:41 +0000
  Hi Mike and all who responded.

    I guess I was just underwhelmed at what I could accomplish on FT8 vs CW on 160.  I figured it would open up a whole new level of rare countries and places that were now workable to me. Working Kazakhstan on 160 CW from my location is difficult, but doable on some nights in the winter. On FT8 I hear UN1L often, but I can never work him after many days of trying. I started out with 90 watts and ended up with 900 watts output, but never a response from him. I guess 160 is a special case where achieving a good receive noise level is very difficult.  FT8 must be a huge improvement for those, as you said, with few radials and smallish vertical radiators as their sole antenna. The extra 5 or 6 dB must be the difference of night and day for limited space or limited antennas in general.  It sure has fostered much activity on 160 with calls that are mostly unfamiliar to me.  I have worked a few regulars on FT8, like YO3APJ, and they seem to hear just fine. Unfortunately I am not QRV on other HF bands to try out FT8 there! I suspect the ALLIGATOR SYNDROME is not as evident on the higher HF bands.

On another subject, I ran out of room on my six position receive beverage coaxial switch. I had seven beverages, and one was not hooked up as a result.  I also have not been using diversity reception even though I am using a K3. So I finally worked out a plan to make a new switching box. It consists of two Grayhill 12 position rotary switches.  The two switches have a set of the 12 positions wired in parallel between the two switches and each position connects to a rx input jack on the back, while the common terminal for each switch goes to the main rx jack or the diversity rx jack on the K3.  The 12 inputs are "F" fittings on the back of the switch box. I worried that the isolation would be poor, but it checks out at 55 to 65 dB on 160 and 80 meters. VSWR is pretty good too even with all the insulated wire used. I did not even try wiring it with coax! One switch selects any of 12 beverage antennas for the main receiver, while the second switch selects any of the beverages for the diversity receiver. It works very well and I wonder why I did not do this a long time ago. In the first evening I saw a huge improvement using diversity and it was nice having all the wires available too!  Too bad it won't get much use until next fall and winter!

73

Dave K1WHS