Re: Topband: RG-6 questions

To: <mstangelo@comcast.net>, "Chuck Hutton" <charlesh3@msn.com>, "Richard Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, "Top Band Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RG-6 questions
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:27:35 -0400
I better correct two pre-coffee typos I made:

That is NOT the voltage breakdown of the coax from center to shield. That is a wiring class voltage, similar to the jacket punch-through to a bare external conductor.

If you take regular foam dielectric "RG6" (which is almost never a real RG6 style) cable and strip back the end, and high pot the cable, the center to shield dielectric breakdown of cable ***withOUT** a flaw is over 12 kV.

This means modern RG6-type (which was also called "F6" and isn't a real RG6 military number with copper shield and solid dielectric), if it does not have a serious internal flaw, at even a remotely reasonable SWR, is heat limited.