Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued

To: "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 20:27:54 -0500
Well, I agree. And if I follow your reasoning, it doesn't take much of an
increase in line voltage to push the HV from 825 VDC to over 900 VDC., as
Bill observe. Might be the choke, but I'd be really surprised at the entire
winding being shorted. I'd surely want to start by measuring line voltage
before digging into details like looking for a "shorted" choke!

The DX100 has 30k of bleeder resistance and a published choke inductance of ~5.5 H. It would be interesting to measure one.

Critical inductance with 30k ohms at 750V is up around 20 H. The more the better up to about 30 H. This is why the no load voltage goes way too high.

With the choke it has, assuming it is ~5.5H as stated, the bleeder would have to be ~3 to 4 k ohms. There would be around 200 watts bleeder power to make the choke work properly. This explains why the HV settles to proper voltage range with ~200 mA of PA current.

Another worry is too much filter cap makes the rectifier tubes go way over the repetitive current rating. More isn't always better.