Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued

To: 'topband' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 11:27:39 -0500
So..

Here is where I am with the DX-100. I have been operating it with a pair of 2E26s where the 6146s live and feeding those from the low voltage supply. When I completed the recapping of the high voltage power supply the finals immediately started giving me trouble. So I disabled the high voltage and installed the changes to run lower power (much lower power) from the 2E26s while I sort out the trouble.

When I turned on the high voltage I got a nice upscale reading on the plate voltage meter (front panel of DX-100). No smoke. No sizzle. "Is that meter right - over 900 volts"? The metering resistors getting old. I let it run for a while when I was nearby and nothing bad happened. Then I installed the 6146s and it was downhill from there. Finally I took some voltage reading and the plate voltage is over 975 volts! That exceeds the rating of the caps and the rating of the 6146s. I did not solid state the plate supply rectifiers (nor any of them).

I had used four caps rated at 450 volts/100 uF. They were in two pairs series parallel for 100 uF/900 volts. Some hams cautioned me against using so much capacitance. So I removed one pair of the caps and ended with 50 uF at 900 volts. The plate supply remained over 950 Volts until I keyed the transmitter when it dropped below 900 volts as might be expected.

6146s might tolerate higher voltages and the caps might too, at least for a while. Maybe some other parts in the circuit won't. I *AM* having erratic behavior from the finals (6146) that I did NOT have before. I measured my line voltage at 129 volts. For my next trick I am going to start applying bucking transformers. I've noticed my Kenwood T-599 has been making some subdued power supply noises and have thought to recap it as well. Where that plate supply used to read 825 volts it is now is making 900 volts. Yes..bucking transformers all around. I have used that approach before to reduce the voltage when a transformer I had on hand came out a little to hot for the intended application. Now I'll use it to tame the wild utilities in my ham shack but with bigger transformers. I should get a discount from the electric utility for having to do their work for them.

73,

Bill  KU8H