Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 17:55:24 -0500
On 01/08/2014 05:33 PM, Keith Jillings (G3OIT) wrote:

In my (very distant) youth I came by a DX-100 that had been built from kit by a local, who could never get it to work. I spent a few interesting weekends studying the circuit and the construction, and then set to with a hot soldering iron and got it working. I used it as my one and only TX for a fair few years, modifying it to do this and that as I went along.

Mine was fed from 230 volt mains, and as I recall the HV was in the region of 900 volts off-load, sagging quite a bit on-load. I never worried about it, and the PA valves remained happy throughout. The electrolytics didn't go bang either, but they were very much younger in those days.

I eventually sold it to a local dealer and put my pocket money to it to buy an FT101E which I still have and use with my VHF and UHF transverters.

73

Keith
G3OIT
Hi Keith,

This one has been modified (mostly gutted of AM). Somebody else asked if it was a kit. The first name is Heath and the last name is Kit. They are all kits as far as I know. It has a lot of miles, years, and previous owners. If they were available already assembled I have no real way to know. My Johnson Ranger was one of the kits, too but was available assembled by the factory. They used rivets. We used screws and nuts.

If I have to make changes to get it going I'll install a screened cage around the finals and *real* neutralization. Full QSK break-in, heterodyne VFO, etc. First I'll try to make the CW part of the rig that remains work.

73,

Bill  KU8H