Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued

To: "Bill Cromwell" <wrcromwell@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 20:05:38 -0500
So far I haven't found the line voltage lower than 125 Volts and in early afternoon it was at 130 volts. The transmitter was working and no problem with the finals at all before I did the recap. I did the power supply recap in all three power supplies because the low voltage supply was getting really hot. I'm not sure what the high voltage was before the recap so it may not be all that much higher now.

DX100's run high on high voltage because the filter choke does not have enough inductance for the bleeder current. It does not reach "critical inductance" until the PA is drawing nearly full current.

Two or three hams have mentioned the neutralizing circuit for the finals. I would have suspected that too. But - the DX-100 doesn't have a neutralizing circuit!

That's correct. It does not have neutralization. I added it in mine, but it isn't problematic without it if you stay off 10 and 15 meters.

A few hams have suggested that the DX-100 is just a piece of junk anyway.

It certainly wasn't the best rig, but it is generally fixable and a great learning platform. Even with the bandwidth and other issues, it works OK below 20 meters for old boatanchor use like AM.

73 tom