Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued

Subject: Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 16:59:27 -0500
Tom asked about bleeder current. I didn't try to measure it but I watched the high voltage decay to zero in a very few seconds when I switched it off with no 6146s in the sockets.

Line voltages in the late 1950's were 115, and 117 at the time the DX100 was made. The standard since the 70's is 120/240 at +- 5%.

This is old stuff that never actually worked as well as it could have when brand new. Only a small part of the problem is your line voltage. The bigger problem is the HV supply has inadequate choke inductance. Even the 15K bleeders do not load the supply enough to hold voltage down.