Re: Topband: Antenna analysers in close proximity to BC station.

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>, Tom Boucher <tom@telemetry.demon.co.uk>, 160 reflector <topband@contesting.com>, Chris G3SVL <Chris@G3SVL.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna analysers in close proximity to BC station.
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 12:54:46 +0000
At my QTH, many of the local (just a few miles away) AM BC stations cut back
power a lot at sunset.

The cleanup is remarkable on my transmit Marconi. Before sunset and without any
reject filters, I literally have 50V RMS between antenna and ground. It can
light up a neon light on modulation peaks of the nearest stations (OK I cheated
and built a tuned circuit for 630 WMAL to make that happen! But it does
happen.) At night it clears up dramatically and is closer to 10V RMS.

It may be as easy as waiting for sunset to do the antenna analyzer thing. (Not
sure if this helps the original poster in the UK... don't know if UK/Euro
stations have the same day/night switcheroo that NA stations coordinate. And I
think clear channel stations do not cut back power at night... do clear channel
stations actually still exist?).

Tim N3QE