Re: Topband: Antenna analysers in close proximity to BC station.

To: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna analysers in close proximity to BC station.
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 20:23:31 -0400
The AIM 4170 (and probably some others) allows you to calibrate THROUGH
filters and coax, etc, to the far side. That way a high pass filter in
front of the unit is completely transparent, and you can see stuff on the
other side with the filter's impedance, passband ripple, etc taken out.
 All done in software.

That feature has been very useful on 160m for eliminating BC interference.
 Beyond BC band there are a lot of uses for remote calibration besides
making filters transparent.  Just one is calibrating to the end of a
feedline, and then using it as a reference to detect problems in the
feedline.  Terminate at the far end and any variation since it was new
shows up as departures from flat readings from the termination.

It DID cost me some money to purchase, it's not the cheep solution, but
I've never looked back.

Having good test equipment that does the job is really worth it.

73, Guy.