RFI

Re: [RFI] New ARRL Mission statement > Was solar fix

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] New ARRL Mission statement > Was solar fix
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2024 13:11:58 -0700
I attended one of his three-day workshops, in Palo Alto, in 2004 or '05. I found his many insights to be brilliant. I also was part of arranging for him to present invited lectures at two national conventions of the Audio Engineering Society. Henry was a (silent) member of the EMC WG of the AES Standards Committee.

We had several dinners together over the years. One of the things he talked about was breaking fundamental concepts in the simplest terms possible to make them more understandable to those with less technical education. He had always been very good at that -- I was very impressed with how he did that in his workshop and talks.

I had already known that he had done consulting work for virtually every major corporation on a wide range of issues. During that workshop, things he said made it very clear to me that he had thought extensively and had major insights into just about any problem faced by contemporary designers in a very wide range of fields and applications, and had thought through 6-8 different implications to every problem/mechanism.

As an example, thinking about traces above a "ground" layer or sandwiched between two such layers as a transmission line, and that transit time along those traces had become a fundamental limit on processing speeds. Another important insight was that any break on one of the "ground" layers acts as a break in the line, causing return to be purely random based on physical construction, creating crosstalk and causing emissions from the resulting radiation.

That one workshop was one of the most valuable education I received over the years. I say one of the most, because I also had the opportunity to study extensively under Richard Heyser, a scientist at JPL who worked in space communications there. But I was studying in what was his "hobby" -- pro audio, which he revolutionized in the '70s with his invention of Time Delay Spectrometry, and with his many lectures and workshops. TDS brought complex analysis to audio and acoustic systems with practical instrumentation, a decade before anything comparable with dual channel FFT. I bought one of the earliest production units in 1982, and it made my career in pro audio. It cost me the $12,000 I had saved for a down payment on my first house.

Dick was President-elect of the AES when he died in 1986 of cancer.

73, Jim K9YC

Jim, I took several of his courses.