Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting
From: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 08:34:01 -0600
Guest ops/hired guns to super stations or any station should have their own class too?  Do we really want to alienate people like N6MJ who has stated on many occasions that he is hired gun, an amazing op with not so great (my words) technical skills?  Why does anyone care how I spend my money in the hobby?  If I want to build stations or rent remotes what does it matter?  If I hire a a firm to build my station do I get reclassified over someone that did all the work themselves?  How about we just accept Remotes however they are built and move on.  If you lose to one you might have lost to a better op.  Don't blame the remote blame yourself and get better as an op or improve the station you operator from.

Does tomorrows contesting look like this?

Hired gun, super station with internet
Hired gun, super station no internet
Average op, great tech skills no internet
Op that tries really hard on a limited budget with and without internet
Station builder over one million with internet
Great op own station
Great op who kinda helped build that station
MM with 2 hired guns
MM with no hired guns
MM with great cooks
MM with lousy food
Etc etc etc.

I hope not.

Contesting is just another competition where people attempt to avoid competition or keep people out of their categories by influencing judges or rules that benefit them.  I see it in horsemanship shows where people category shop much like a ham radio contest.  People would like you to believe they want competition but in reality they really don't.  Big time online gaming guilds(clubs) and players will stay away from each other by picking different servers to play on because they want to be king of the hill and destroy the competition.  If another competitor comes along they will either transfer off or if they actually collide and there is a clear winner many from the losing side will join the winners.

The only exception I see is KL9A and N6MJ who have embraced the competition and by doing so have become some if not the best contest ops we have.  #ZF2MJSUCKS  #KL9ABLOWS  I am sure there may be others in circles I am not in.  We need more of this, please.

There is some pretty sad and disturbing stuff going on in the background in contesting.  It is hard to believe that there is still a hard push to attempt to alienate remotes and make things more difficult instead of being open and accepting of new players and new COMPETITION.  If you got beat, do better, stop running to the competition committees trying to legislate rules to protect whatever legacy or territory you think you deserve.  The behavior is really shameful.

Lets all get along have fun, get better and leave ham radio and contesting a better place.

W0MU