Re: [VHFcontesting] To submit or not to submit

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] To submit or not to submit
From: Alan Larson <wa6azp@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:24:29 -0700
Bart Jahnke <bjahnke@gmail.com> writes:
 >As Alex suggests, do submit please. Submission helps us track participation.
>
> Should you wish, submit as a CHECKLOG by changing your log entry category
> in your Cabrillo file upload to:

Wouldn't that checklog still have the same effect that Doug wanted to avoid  -
by being checked, the stations he contacted and mislogged would still
be penalized
because he reported them wrong.  Specifically if you work me, and log
that contact,
while instead of W9JJ, I log W0UU, the checking program will find no match and
penalize you for my mistake.
If, instead, I conclude I am doubtful enough that I copied the report
accurately, and
want to avoid getting penalized for logging an incorrect contact, so I
leave the contact
out of my log.  Now, in either case, the checking program sees me having logged
a bunch of correct contacts, but no contact with you.  You would get penalized.

>From all I have understood, the checklog is used for that, but not for
actually entering
my score in the contest.  In other words, it would still penalize you.

A better system would be for the log checker to not penalize - just as
it must (hopefully)
ignore contacts that don't have a matching log (from the folks who
just get on to work
a few contacts or perhaps give their friends a contact), it needs to
ignore these "errors".
Perhaps I made only one contact in the contest, and didn't send in a
log.  Perhaps
someone mis-sent their call.

I am rambling about this because I was thinking about this a bunch
after the CW NAQP
recently.  I only worked a handful, should I send them in and risk a
log checking program
deciding to sanction me for perhaps one or two errors in a very small log?

As an aside, I agree with Alex's comments about the long delay from contest
to published results.  Why should it take more than a few minutes for
the computer
to process and publish the results online?

        Alan