[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night

To: <222Activity@groups.io>, <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night
From: "Allen Oldfield" <aoldfiel@stny.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:30:29 -0500
Only 4 Q's last night:

K1WHS       FN43 SSB   312 Miles

K1RZ          FM19 FT8   200 Miles

K1ZK          FN34 FT8   241 Miles

WA3NUF     FN20 FT8   166 Miles

I got on shortly after 7pm and checked in to the ON4KST chat page, to see
who was on and what frequency they were on.  Despite the distance and the
"impediments" between us, both K1WHS and WA3NUF signals (historically) are
always quite good here on SSB. So, that's where I started. First up, I
started calling CQ towards Philadelphia, hoping to get 'NUF.  After several
minutes, I gave up.  Next, I see on the ON4KST chat page that K1WHS was on
105 calling CQ to his SE.  I went to 105 and listened.  Nothing. So I began
calling CQ on CW. In short order, Dave answered.  We easily completed and
then switched to SSB and talked for a few minutes before moving on.  During
that SSB QSO, Dave's signal dropped significantly.  That was unusual.

After finding no other signals on SSB or CW, I moved to FT8 where I worked
K1RZ, K1ZK and WA3NUF.

Strange conditions:   Both K1RZ and K1ZK were first copied/decoded off the
SIDE of my beam. With K1ZK, the FT8 contact was initiated with the side of
the beam pointed in his direction.

I will be looking for everyone this weekend on 6M, 2M, 1.25M, 70cm and 23cm.
If I am active (and not taking a break,) you will find me monitoring the
ON4KST chat page.

73,

Al - W9KXI

FN12ne