Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Meteor scatter Sked Request

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Meteor scatter Sked Request
From: Chris Lumens <chris@lumensoutdoors.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 17:08:53 -0400
Meteor scatter is great for distances between about 600 miles and 1300 miles as your signal scatters off ionized trails at about the same height as Es clouds, maybe 65 miles above the earth. Best bet seems to get on the ping jockey meteor scatter website to look for activity. You need a good SW to west horizon.

Because I live down in a bowl surrounded by trees, the only way I can
participate is if I pack stuff up into my truck and sit around in a
parking lot somewhere.

Obviously, I don't want to do that for longer than I have to.

It looks like the peak of the meteors is supposed to be Saturday night
into Sunday morning.  I know we don't really know when the best
operating conditions are going to be, but if I could at least narrow it
down to a couple hours where people are most likely to be operating, I
could plan on being around at the same time.

--
Chris Lumens - KG6CIH
Hike * MTB * XC Ski * Haskell