Re: [VHFcontesting] TT rotor question

To: Lloyd Berg <lloyd.n9lb@gmail.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] TT rotor question
From: Ray Golley <rgolley@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 18:59:35 -0400 (EDT)
 Hello Don, Lloyd, et all.
When I had the big tower with larger HF arrays I used Tailtwisters and never
lost one to wind, etc. My antenna systems never had the rotor high up in the
tower near the antennas... I always had a top thrust bearing and a second one
about 8' down inside the tower. I mounted the Rotor about 25' below inside the
tower and coupled it to the main mast with a torque tube.
All the connections between the torque tube and the main mast used a #9 tapered
steel pin. The center bolt in the rotor was replaced with a tapered steel pin.
I bought a tapered bit to fit the pins properly and drilled everything with it.
Once the pin is inserted it takes one tap with a hammer to set it and it will
never come out by itself! Yet, it only takes a few taps with a hammer on the
tapered end to to remove it!
My two cents!

73 de
N3RG Ray