Re: [VHFcontesting] TT rotor question

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] TT rotor question
From: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 15:53:24 -0400
I had frequent problems with Ham IV and T2X rotator clamps slipping on my VHF stack (two or more yagis with ~30 foot booms) and an HF/6m stack with TH-11DX and 13 element 2m on a 26 foot boom. Note that I was using aluminum masts at the time.

One day N1RR suggested I tighten the nuts and then add SS nylock nuts tightened against the plain SS nuts. Neither slipped again. Of course next time the gears got smashed on the HF/2m stack T2X, but that's another story. I always use anti-seize compound on SS hardware which does a lot to prevent galling but also makes it easier for hardware to work loose.

My Ham IV with the described double nut arrangement has not slipped since the 2021 antenna farm rescue and rebuild, turning a four yagi stack, one each 6m through 432 with booms from 33' to 26'.

Paul N1BUG