Re: [VHFcontesting] TT rotor question

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] TT rotor question
From: Lloyd Berg <lloyd.n9lb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 07:58:20 -0500
Hello Don,
When I was younger, and my knees were better, I helped out the locals with
tower maintenance services.

I found that people who did NOT "Pin" the mast pipe to the rotor
occasionally had problems with mast orientation slippage.

I also found that people who did "Pin" the mast pipe to the rotor
frequently had torn up the gears in the rotor.  ( usually resulting in the
mast/antenna array "freewheeling" which would tear up the rotor loop cables
and antenna feedpoints. )

It is a whole lot easier and way less expensive to re-align the antenna
direction after a windstorm than replacing the rotor, rotor loop, feed
point attachment, etc.  ( did you ever notice all the "rotor rebuilding
services" out there? )

73

Lloyd - N9LB