Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 Activity night

To: Al W9KXI <aoldfiel@stny.rr.com>, 222Activity@groups.io, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 Activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:02:01 -0400
Hi Al

That is a good idea to place the distances beside each  contact so it puts everything into perspective with contacts from different geographical areas.  Seeing those numbers is also a good way to gauge how well your station is working compared to others. Times have changed but I still hear the words of Sam Harris W1FZJ, as he pushed and prodded VHFers in his VHF magazine columns in CQ and then QST.  Rather than just reporting the month's news, he spent time urging hams to improve their stations and justify their existence on the band. His columns were a treasure trove of VHF practical experience and knowledge. I would compare him to the equivalent of a fiery southern Baptist minister telling his flock what they needed to do to get to heaven.  If your receiver suffered from poor noise figure, fix it! If your transmitter was low power, you should improve it. If your antenna doesn't block out the Sun, it needed to be bigger!!He kept telling the 144 folks that they should have a range of 600 to 700 miles. If you look at the scatter programs available now,, you can see that he was, as usual, correct! If you could not work 600 miles.....Fix it!

So with a single good yagi and decent power, (a few hundred watts) you should expect to cover well over 300 miles with suitably equipped stations on 222 MHz.  Sam was always running skeds and pushing the VHF horizon.  It was infectious and others started running daily skeds over impossible distances in an effort to judge how station improvements affect the bottom line. After all DX = Distance!  I recall that activity always stopped on 144 late each evening as K2IEJ on Long Island, NY, fired up his KW CW rig and skedded Art, W8KAY in Akron Ohio. The distance was a tad over 400 miles, which is much more easily achieved today with better receivers and more effective antennas, but in 1964, 400 miles was a great achievement. I used to marvel at how many of the old DXers would tune in every night to see what happened. I would get excited if I even heard W8KAY!

The Activity nights are serving a similar purpose, and have become a great way to gauge your station and push everyone to want to improve their station in the ways available to each individual.  I heard W9KXI pushing the envelope, sending many CW CQs later on in the evening around 222.100.  It sure is great to hear all the activity and see so many people having fun on the band. I am looking forward to the Spring Sprints and better weather.

73

Dave K1WHS