Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night

To: Peter Motyl <cs735171012@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night
From: Paul Bourque <pbourque@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 22:25:57 -0400
Tuesday was my triumphant return to 222 night, after several months away.
It was good to get on the band again.  Fired up the newly repaired Icom
7000 feeding the Ukrainian transverter and RF concepts brick into a 7
element beam mounted on the trailer hitch of the truck. I tried a new
hilltop (not really that much hill, but I was able to see the horizon) at a
local church parking lot, and heard K1WHS calling CQ on CW. I answered on
phone, and Dave and I had a nice QSO for a few minutes, soon joined by
"good buddy" Ron who was off the back of the beam. Dave said that if I
didn't make many contacts,I could go inside the church and pray for better
propagation!  I suggested that I should do that FIRST next time.

As Pete said, I was taking the rover out for a spin, so I moved to a
different spot, and I heard K1FSY calling CQ really weak.  I was pointing
away from him, but we managed to wrangle a QSO out of the ether. I then
moved a little further down the road and back to a really busy 222.100 and
heard K1MAP and K1PXE in a QSO, I chimed in and got Mark and Pete, and then
heard a very loud K1TR- which would be a new state for me! I heard K1MAP
attempting to work AF1T, but I was unable to hear Dale above the noise.

I only have a low power (30 watts or so out of the amp) rover station, so I
wasn't expecting to put a whole ton of stations in the log.  I managed 6
QSOs, which was a good return to the band for me!

Stations worked (distances from FN31rn) all SSB.
K1WHS FN43mj 150.2 mi
WZ1V FN31rh 17.3
K1FSY FN31mr 24.4
K1MAP FN32sb 34.8
K1PXE FN31ke 39.8
K1TR FN42iu 109.8

Hope to get on the air more in the coming months!

73,
-Paul N1SFE FN31rn (home QTH, grid varies when checking out different
hilltops)