Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night & 222 MHz 1500 watt Amp

To: Peter Motyl <cs735171012@earthlink.net>, "wz1v@sbcglobal.net" <wz1v@sbcglobal.net>, "newsvhf@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night & 222 MHz 1500 watt Amplifier status report
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 20:28:35 -0400
Hi Pete

This is a long e mail. My apologies, but lots of territory to cover.

I would agree that last Tuesday night had some really good tropo peaks if you could catch them.  At other times it seemed normal, but I really wanted to try a sked with K3SK at 575 miles.  I think it was possible given some time to try.  Last year there was one night when KE8FD came through weakly on CW (after I worked him on FT8) and that was a good one too, but I have never heard WA3EOQ as loud as this past Tuesday. He was S8 or so at his peak, and I mistook him for a local!

One of the reasons I got on the 222 MHz kick was to exercise the 222 array before it all fell down in an ice storm or what ever.  I realized that it only was used on a few weekends and that was not good.  We built it to optimize our multi op contest station and were amazed at how well it seemed to work. I am glad it is finally getting some regular use. I don't have a lot of money invested in the VHF gear, but there is definitely a lot of sweat equity in the project. Most of the gear is homebuilt and the antennas are similar.  Even the towers are scrounged. I think I can recall buying three or four new Rohn 45 sections in my career.   While my investment in cash is low, my time involved is astronomical. I admit it. So it is fun to get to use the ham gear on a regular basis.

Last summer I dredged up 13 Larcan 1500 watt amplifier pallets and my plan was to pass them out but only to people in rare sections of the country in an effort to build up activity.  It sounded like a good idea to me, but I am not the typical ham.  I realized it today, as have spent the last several days entirely working on ham projects non stop from dawn to midnight.  It seems that if I am home, I am working on a ham project. I would gladly grab an amp pallet and make it into something that was very usable in a New York minute.   Many hams are not that way, which brings me to this point.  In conversations with many VHFer friends whom I admire greatly, they have convinced me that the amplifiers should be a turn key operation and should not be given away. There must be value attached to every endeavor or it will be valueless to the person or persons involved.  In other words, There must be some sort of hoop to jump through to prove that you are serious both to yourself and to others. I hope I am making sense.  The plan has now evolved into making a turn key amplifier available to prospective VHFers around the country at a very agreeable price, but they will not be free. I have tied up about $3K in parts to accomplish the project with more on the way.  I have made one trial run with a single 500 watt amplifier to develop an idea of the magnitude of the project. The end result has me all excited, as the amplifier is a sweetie and works so well. I made up a 500 watt version as I did not have QRO caps for a 1500 watt filter in house yet.  So here is a summary of the amplifier specs:

                                        Honest Dave's 222 MHz LARCAN AMPLIFIER Conversion Project

Frequency: 222-225 MHz
Power Output: 1500 watts peak
Devices: All solid state  6 X MRF151G FETs with combiner  These are NOT LDMOS and have more tolerant gates. (just a little bit!) Power required:  50 volts at 70 amps. (You supply the 50 V  power supply)  No other voltages needed
Drive power: 35-40 watts
Harmonic filter is built in and tuned for low loss.
Sequencer:       built in  (two phono jacks )  Ground on TX
Directional Coupler:  Included  (no output indicator though)
Built in cooling fan with fan ramp up at higher temps.
High VSWR Protection:        built in
High Temperature protection:        built in.  Amp overheats and it shuts down.

Form Factor:   Front panel will be about 15" wide X 5" high and contain an AMP enable toggle switch plus four LEDs to indicate Power On, Xmit ON, VSWR Fault, and Hi Temp Fault. Basically you will see a rather large 15 x 23 " heatsink fins on top and a buttoned up bottom. The protection and filter circuits are built on a mezzanine just above a portion of the heatsink on top.   I tend to rack mount these things, but most folks do not. this arrangement is low cost but effective. The fans are also above the heat sink.

While there is a relative forward power voltage available in the amp to indicate RF power, no indicator will be included in this amplifier as a cost constraint. Most folks have a Bird 43 or similar instead. The plan is to put it on your desk, apply 50 volts and then start transmitting.  This power level is not trivial and would be a shot in the arm for 222 MHZ WAS activity as you would become EME capable right away with any sort of 15 ft long antenna! My first order of business is to offer these amps at a relatively low cost to 222 MHz ops in the less populated areas of the country that have no good EME activity as a rule.

Here is a list of people who want the amplifiers as of today's date:

KB7IOG  Washington
W7ID Idaho
AB4AB Florida
KC7OOY  CM82 in Oregon
VE7PS in BC   (This is Peter ex VE3EMS)
NX9O   GA
VE6TA    wants to retire his old 4CX250 pp amp.
VE7HR
Trent Fleming (no call given) in TN  1500 or 500 is OK
WZ1V wants to retire his AM-6155 too.  wants a 500 watt unit if possible.
W1GHZ if any are left
N1AV took 2 of the amplifiers and is converting them for suitable hams in Arizona and NM area. I have not heard if he has finished them or not.

There might be a few more that I missed.

So here is the deal..... You pay $700 and get one of the converted 1500 watt amplifiers, I might have two 500 watt amps available as well.  ($500)  My plan is to deliver them to the Central States VHF Conference  in Arkansas. Most of the movers and shakers from around the country make it there. That can save on shipping. Now $700 is less than 50 cents a watt.  The cost will cover my material costs and a small portion of my labor.

I have sent emails to all who inquired in the past.  There are 11 people on the list but two want 500 watt units. that leaves two more 1500 watt amps still available. We really should be beating the bushes for suitable hams to take advantage of this. My hope is that it becomes a big activity builder. Remember the band is only as good as the people who get on and exercise it! We need activity in places like Oklahoma, Montana,  Nevada, Mississippi Kentucky, etc.  Please scour your immediate neighborhood for suitable candidates. Let them know and lets try to find some suitable homes around these 50 states!

So, if you are still interested, please let me know.  If you want to be added to the list and you are contemplating EME, let me know too. I am pretty sure the amps will go fast. I better get off my tookus and start on the filters etc.!!

*Also N1AV..... How is your amp project coming along? Let us know.*

73 Dave K1WHS

aka "Honest Dave"