[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 14:30:54 -0500
No I did not forget. I have just been busy with many loose ends....not the least of which has been what is attached to my neck.   I have been doing small amounts of work on the remote shack on the hill. I finally got the 432 system back and working. I do have a semi HF presence there with a ten meter setup and I have been doing lots of work there to get ready for the ARRL Ten Meter Contest this weekend. Lots of problems with broken tic Ring rotor indicators, a bad meter in a T2X control box,  busted yagi feeds etc. The last thing was building a new antenna switch and then finding that my 6 element yagi was an open circuit!  Turns out it was intermittent. I managed to lower the whole 36 ft long yagi to the ground and found that the feed was flaky. I had over engineered it and made it worse somehow!   But enough of that stuff! It is Tuesday and it will be raining in the northeast, so Pete, K1PXE will be happy and it will be 222 activity night.  What better way to spend an evening with lousy weather than to sit by your fantastic 222 VHF setup and try to work DX while being warm and cozy.

For my part, I will be on 222.100 starting a  bit before 00:00 UT looking for contacts.  I will monitor ON4KST 144/432 Region 2 Chat page in case you want to run a sked or listen for a weak signal beyond your normal working radius.  It is early December. I will probably get snowed out pretty soon, and not be able to keep active on the tuesday evenings, but while I still can, I will be there making noise and calling on 222.  The Moon should be way up during the evening, and I will check the HB9Q 222 page if anyone wants to exercise their elevation rotator this evening.  I did look at my 222 antenna and it seems to be still in one piece. Nothing looks broken yet but winter has barely gotten started. I use the same antenna for tropo and EME sessions.

I hope to hear a bunch of great signals this evening.  Maybe K2AEP has lengthened his 222 antenna some more?

73

Dave K1WHS