Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night

To: Tom Williams <tomw@wa1mba.org>, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:30:09 -0500
Hi folks,

The last storm was a doozy up here with lots of high winds and downed trees.  I lost power and had no internet for quite awhile. The intenet just came on about 6 PM last night.  I thought about hiking up to the shack and trying to get stuff running, but walking up the road is impossible in the dark as it is covered with solid ice from the deep freeze. The ground is saturated and anything that ran out of the ground froze solid, so the road is a skating rink.

I looked at the QSO totals of Good Buddy Ron, WZ1V and was amazed as it was well over 20 contacts on 222 MHz SSB & CW. That is quite an uptick in activity. Indeed the last few weeks have been quite active even with the cold weather etc. If it warms up I hope enough ice melts so that I can drive up and clean out the rigs and the lithium battery. (They do no t like to freeze)  Time will tell.

I did walk up to the shack and everything is still there, but the 222 array looks like it has sustained a bit of torqueing while being buffeted by the winds. I suspect 80+   mile wind gusts as plenty of home wx stations logged 66 mph in this area.  I hope to climb the 222 tower and inspect things close up before I try anything.  I might have to re align the array. It may have slipped a few degrees.  Maybe I can listen for the K1MAP beacon and check it out.

I spent two days clearing downed trees and beverage wires in the woods. They took a beating. Many large trees fell and wiped them all out. I am glad to finally get power and get connected up to the world again!!

73

Dave K1WHS