Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:30:39 -0600
I tried sending some photos to the group but evidently they are not
allowed.. I have been using a new portable/Rover setup since the August UHF
contest. I have been using portable masts held up with guy ropes for years
(decades?) but it takes a long time and a lot of work to put them up and
take them down. Plus, the antennas for 11 bands take up a lot of room in
the car. So I got a car roof rack for the purpose of both transporting the
antennas on the car and holding up a mast.

I made this system with the 5-foot stackable mast sections sold by Radio
Shack (I hope they still sell them). A horizontal side-arm is made from one
mast section and is fastened to one of the roof racks with U-clamps. It has
a plate at the end to support the mast. At the bottom of the mast is a
tilt-over mount.

It is pretty easy and fast to set up and take down. The photos I have show
three antennas on a 15 foot mast used in the UHF contest, but in September
I had a 20 foot mast up with 144, 222, 432, 902 and 1296 all on the one
mast. It worked fine. I haven't tried this setup in winds over about 15
mph, so I don't know how well it will stand up in higher winds. I'm sure I
will find out soon, maybe in the January VHF contest. :-)

If anyone would like to see the photos, I can send them. Alternatively, if
someone knows of a place where I can upload them, I can do that.

73, Zack W9SZ