[VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts
From: Patrick Thomas <p-thomas@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 23:33:14 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Hey all,

I've been considering augmenting the park-and-go rover setup with a push-up
mast.  However, I have noticed that the Rohn H50, etc., explicitly state that
they are "not recommended" for use with yagis.  And sure, physics would suggest
that if you have a 15' antenna boom, you are likely to have more off-axis "arm"
acting on the top of the mast, versus a vertical or even a dish.  On the other
hand, I don't know if they only say that to protect themselves against people
who use H50s as semi-permanent rooftop installations in 80MPH wind zones with
heavy ice.

So what's the verdict?  I'm sure it's "possible" but is it safe to use a large
2m yagi on an H50 when properly guyed, on a day with gentle breezes?  Or is it
indeed "not recommended" under any conditions due to instability, etc?  For
that matter, what about the weight of a rotor that high up?

(And yes, I'm still working on the halo stack, so worst case I could always
hike that up the line... but would love to have the extra gain and
directionality from the yagi.)

Thanks,

Patrick
KB8DGC