Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts
From: Erich <cq.n6fd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 12:12:42 -0800
On 12/28/2016 9:42 AM, Mark Spencer wrote:
Currently I'm using military surplus 4 foot long and slightly under 2" OD
stackable aluminum mast sections (I believe they were originally intended for
supporting camouflage netting ?)

The camouflage netting poles are really lightweight and not very strong. A better choice would be the GRA-4 poles used for putting up wire antennas in the military. These are also in 4 foot sections, but are designed to be tilted up up to a 45' height with two sets of guys. If you find these, the ones with a square shoulder at the joint work better than the ones with a rounded shoulder. The rounded shoulder ones can be a bear to get apart. The square shoulder ones also rotate nicely for armstong rotor work.

73,
Erich N6FD