[VHFcontesting] VHF En Vogue; issues and

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF En Vogue; issues and
From: "Joshua M. Arritt" <jarritt@vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:33:13 -0500
On 2/9/2014 5:49 PM, Duane - N9DG wrote:
This lack of curiosity to try things like VHF weak signal strikes me as a side effect of
amateur radio having been promoted for a few decades now as being a utilitarian
communications "ends" vs. being it a lifelong continuing journey focused on
propagation challenges and technology..

Duane
N9DG

We have at this moment several counts against V activity that have been outlined:

P1.) DC-Daylight includes HF, which at the moment (good solar activity) provides the culturally-demanded "instant gratification" expected of "technology" in the modern era.
P2.) Poor paper-chaser bait (VUCC as stepchild syndrome).
P3.) Dearth of good compelling and well-delivered advertising/articles/published works which highlight the _intrinsic_ rewards of riding V/U propagation. P4.) "Poor economy" wag = declined income = more labor hours to make bills = far fewer play dollars/hours (keeping me off the air more often than not since 2010!!).

... I'll add a few:
P5.) Ubiquitous broadband internet as Entertainment Delivery platform is eroding hours from all other activities among a swath of demographics -- a trend which may level off as the on-demand shine dulls a bit (see P1). P6.) Local QRN condx (? maybe a minor factor, but I argue SNR on V/U is critical to enjoyment) increasing as little consumer noisemakers become re-produce like so many hares.

Suggestions**( I only ask we keep it positive/additive for 2 days; please try to add to this list _constructively_ -- THEN when we've collected all the dumb ideas, us curmudgeon detractors, self-included, can RIP it apart with long negative diatribes on why none of it will work at all! ;) ):

***** For the "NowGeneration" op candidates, pull V/U operations down to low-common-denominator pop culture -- easier than ever:

S1.) Pitch new non-traditional awards -- things like an Instagram/Facebook/etc photo contest of Rover/Hilltop Portable set-up; Play the new social junkfood trends to grab the younger audience attention. Possibilities here are wide and far!

****SDR is the future -- and for those of us /already/ in the future (like _you_), it's the present..... and mobile-pocket SDR is close on the horizon:

S2.) Make monitoring portable/remote-able. Push development of SDR V/U performance in small, efficient packages (already suggested).

S3.) Push SDR application development for mobile device interface/operation from remote and alerting of signal patterns consistent with "activity", "propagation", maybe an "auto-beacon-seek" or other indicators that help (nigh, they just do the work) find Qs on V/U.

S4.) Push hilltop remote-base installation of the above mentioned rigs in terrain-challenged areas.

**** "Community grass-roots organizing" might move the S-meter needle a bit (hihi... but seriously):

S5.) Strategically encourage state QSO party sponsors (again) to include V/U, as just bands; as band-point-mults (Like June's point scheme); as full category/categories (QRP, Multi-Op, Limited/Unlimited, whatever)... perhaps best to start that in the populated states where V/U has activity, and are sched in times of year where propagation enhancements are likely to make a "model" for other {ST}QP organizers to gaze upon. Realizing this has been done w/ limited success, but times are changing.... ask: do these events see suffering/stagnating participation numbers in the modern era of digital distraction too?

S6.) For the next generation V/U op: V/U Rover-Super-Hero/Heroine/Team comic book series? Think STEM. How can V/U operations mesh with educational initiatives at the /LOCAL/ level?

**** Passive-aggressive:

S8.) Wait for the sun to quiet down.  ;)

More...?

  73,
  - Josh / KF4YLM