Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations
From: Bob K0NR - email list <list@k0nr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 08:34:03 -0700
On 2/9/2014 10:38 PM, Bruce Richardson wrote:
Life is rich.  In addition to my passion for VHF/UHF weak-signal
operations, I have other hobbies that also get passion/attention.  Oh
and multiple jobs, and family make for a full and rich life.  My point
here is that I STILL love VHF/UHF weak-signal. I've met nice people and
I get radio thrills occasionally.  For me, the occasional thrills have
been enough to keep me passionate about my hobby.  I can tell that I'll
be nutty about VHF/UHF weak-signal for MANY years to come.

   <snip>

Some of you reading, do you marvel at how much you still like this niche
of ham radio even after all these years?

   I find weak-signal VHF/UHF to be the most fun activity in ham radio.
   However, it is an "acquired taste", not usually full of instant
gratification.
   Our challenge is that not enough people are acquiring the taste for this
   form of fun.
   Changes to VUCC, contest rules, new awards, etc. may all help but
   fundamentally if people don't find the activity fun, it doesn't matter.

   73, Bob K0NR