Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:39:09 -0600
Maybe so. I already have a 24 GHz station and I've managed a 170 km QSO
(and a bunch of closer ones) on that band with a watt and a 12 inch dish.
I'm mostly done with a 47 GHz station and have my eye on 78 GHz. The 47 GHz
will be flea-power for a while and I don't expect to work anyone beyond a
few miles.

I forget if it was on this reflector or another one that I mentioned that I
do not limit my activity on the microwave bands to contesting. We have
Microwave Activity Day in this area on the first Saturday of every month.
Quite a few of us watch the Hepburn tropo forecast and if it looks
promising I will make a few skeds and drive to a hill not too far from home
and spend a couple hours before or after work trying to make some QSO's.
It's taken a lot of tries with some stations but persistence eventually
paid off. I'm hoping to eventually work a couple people in St. Louis (250
km) on 24 GHz eventually. It took quite a few tries to make it on 10 GHz.

73, Zack W9SZ